Namaste!

Well, after years of being away from home and traveling all over the world, I've finally decided to take the step into the world of blogging. As most of you know, I will be spending the next four and a half months teaching English in Nepal. And, as I remain a bit unsure about the communication outlets I will have at my disposal, or frequency at which I will be able to access them, I figured this was the quickest and easiest way to get in touch with those who wish to follow my time there. So here you go. As I said, I really don't know how frequently or thoroughly I will be able to update this but hopefully I can provide at least some small anecdotes regularly enough to provide you all will some sort of insight to my time in Nepal. Enjoy :)

Monday, December 20, 2010

What can you say when you shouldn't say anything?

I have seen a lot in my short time in Nepal. Far more, I believe, than the average tourist would see in double the time. Living with a native family and exposing yourself to the day to day ins and outs of the Nepalese lifestyle truly lets you in to the culture and shows you a more intimate side of life. With this comes great blessings. I have grown very close to the family I live with and many of the children at my school, my knowledge of the language has grown exponentially, and I have learned a great deal about things in life that I never even knew existed. However, with this intimacy comes exposure to some of the less pleasant things in life...things I never expected (naieve as it may have been) and don't really enjoy seeing (to put it lightly). Above all in this category is the somewhat overwhelming amounts of child abuse and endangerment that seems to be quite prevelant here. In the home (where a nightly ritual has the baby screaming for ages), at school (where physical punishments seem to be the norm), even on the streets (where riding with your child on your lap while speeding down the street on the back of a motorcycle is typical). It is far from anything I have ever experienced and beyond what I was raised to believe is acceptable. In fact, I have spent most of my teen and early adult years working and volunteering with agancies and foundations that fight this kind of treatment of children. The whole reason I'm in Nepal in the first place is to help better the lives of children. So what does one do when you come from a culture where beating a child is punishable by jail time and go to a culture where it is not only accepted, but a large part of some of their most traditional events? As an outsider, it is not really my place to step in. Or is it? They truly believe that much of this abuse will make the child stronger (as for the motorcycle incidents, I think it must be purely for convenience). But for the other bits, they do believe it is for the child's own benifit. And, with years and years of these techniques behind them, they do have plenty of evidence on their side. They all seem to grow up to be quite strong individuals. But I would hope that this could be achieved without the brutal attacks throughout childhood. However, as visitors, are we right to step in? Or do we accept it as a piece of the culture that we must respect as their own? I must say it is quite difficult to hear the nightly screams of the baby, or watch the child being slapped at school, and keep quiet. Very difficult.

4 comments:

  1. Megan, This comment to your blog was left on my facebook. It is not easy to post to this site.
    Megan, I am a friend of your father's...To attempt to answer your question I will start here: Being in a foreign land, I believe, respect for their culture is a great starting point. But you don't have to accept their ways if you don't agr...ee with them. My Mom spend 2 years in Africa while serving in the Peace corp. and saw much of the same, felt much of the same, and was conflicted in the same way. My suggestion here is to give alternatives of change without calling it change and let them absorb or not absorb your suggestions. Some will adhere to your wisdom, others will not, but you will have in impact to some degree and for that you can be proud of yourself. Do not suffer in silence, you are too wise and selfless for that choice!Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a teacher... i think some of what you might be able to teach them is just what you think you might want to teach them... think on this, meditate in some way on it,then go with what is in your heart and what your intuition tells you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, Thoughs from a friend of a friend. See FB
    I agree do more good and let them think about what you offer. cultural differences are hard to overcome but you did your best. friend of Serene and RN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, I have been holding off commenting just to see what others have to say. First let me say I cannot even begin to fathom what consternation you are experiencing. There is no easy answer to someone in your position. As you so rightly asserted the biggest impediment, to being able to effect even a minor change of behavior, is the lack of the ability to communicate. I don’t believe that, in the short time you’re going to be in that village, you can change a cultural tradition that has been practiced for generations. Having said that, the first initial step would be to try to discuss your thoughts with village leaders. If they believe strongly in the practice and they believe that it makes the baby stronger there is little you can do. Even if you convinced the mother that what she is doing is wrong and she stopped it could possibly make her a social outcast in the community. If she was the only one doing the ritual that would be different. Remember not everthing we do is as it should be. We love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete