Namaste!

Well, after years of being away from home and traveling all over the world, I've finally decided to take the step into the world of blogging. As most of you know, I will be spending the next four and a half months teaching English in Nepal. And, as I remain a bit unsure about the communication outlets I will have at my disposal, or frequency at which I will be able to access them, I figured this was the quickest and easiest way to get in touch with those who wish to follow my time there. So here you go. As I said, I really don't know how frequently or thoroughly I will be able to update this but hopefully I can provide at least some small anecdotes regularly enough to provide you all will some sort of insight to my time in Nepal. Enjoy :)

Monday, December 6, 2010

Hello from the top of the world

I am sitting here looking at mountain tops that stretch on into the ditance, as far as the eye can see and know that I am completely romoved from everything I once knew...to say that my placement is remote might even be considered an understatement...to locate where I am on a map, well, you can't...the closest approxomation I can give you is if you find Pokhara on a map...then take an hour long taxi ride into the mountains northeast of the city...there you find a small town called Sarangkot...from there it is a half hour hike up rockslide formed hills to reach the tiny house where I am located...this computer I am using, found in a small guest house just north of Sarangkot, is the sole and only computer within an hour of where I am living...so yes, remote is the word. I am staying with a middleaged mother and father, their daughter, and her two sons (who are living there while the daughter's husband is "away", working somewhere I believe). They are all quite lovely and very welcoming. There is also another volunteer living with us who is teaching at the same school. Her name is Jana and she is a 20 yr old from Germany. So far I'm still trying to get used to everything...and after only one day of dal batt for both meals, I know I'm going to be real sick of rice by the end of this, haha :) But yes, I am okay...just trying to figure everything out and hoping I pick up the laguage quickly..it will be a great help...but for now...must head off before the sun sets...no electicity up here :) Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. Megs, Thanks for the phone call. What an adventure. Would like to know more about your bus ride from Katmandu. Having trouble placing you on Google Earth, they have you southwest of Pokhara. Are you anywhere near the Super View Lodge and Restaurant (www.sarangkot.com)? They have WiFi (so they say). Can you get the GPS coordinates? Mother says that I have to take rice off the family Menu:-). Love you so much. Dad

    ReplyDelete