Namaste!

Well, after years of being away from home and traveling all over the world, I've finally decided to take the step into the world of blogging. As most of you know, I will be spending the next four and a half months teaching English in Nepal. And, as I remain a bit unsure about the communication outlets I will have at my disposal, or frequency at which I will be able to access them, I figured this was the quickest and easiest way to get in touch with those who wish to follow my time there. So here you go. As I said, I really don't know how frequently or thoroughly I will be able to update this but hopefully I can provide at least some small anecdotes regularly enough to provide you all will some sort of insight to my time in Nepal. Enjoy :)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Do you hear what I hear...

Everything I read, and all the people I spoke to before coming, mentioned that there would be a bit of sensory overload...This, my friends, was a bit of an understatement...The people, the noise, the honking (oh the honking)...see, the Nepalese, as a whole, are wonderful people. I haven't met anyone who hasn't been just purely nice...everyone is so kind...that is, until they get behind the wheel of a car, motorbike, rickshaw, or other mode of transport. Then they become horn blowing maniacs. We have been told that the honking isn't to be rude but to simply let you know they are coming...however, it seems the proper translation is "i'm coming and i'm not stopping...i see you in my way and if you don't move i will be forced to run you over". I haven't seen any pedestrian casualties as of yet but stay tuned....Today is my first full day in the city so for the most part I am just trying to take it all in and remember exactly how it is that i'm supposed to get back to my room...see the absolute lack of street names and the identical nature of many shop fronts makes this out to be quite a task. I am staying in Thamel which is just north of the center of Kathmandu and the main area for tourists. Which means most shops are filled with hiking gear and little trinkets. This afternoon there is a sightseeing tour for the group I am currently with..i'm definitely looking forward to seeing something beyond the congestion of the city...and then we will learn where we are going to be placed for our volunteering...after today I have two or three more days (getting exact plans from people here seem to be somewhat of a chore... "maybe two or three"), and then I will be off to my home for the next month (because I will be here for four months, I will get to rotate through all three main areas in Nepal)...but now it is time for lunch...daal bhaat anyone? Namaste!

3 comments:

  1. How many people in your group? Where are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your writing. Keep it up.
    Such a surprise to get to skype with you, even with limited connection.
    Too much pollution, need to hold your breath Ha

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you often!
    I love this as a way to keep us up to date!!
    <3

    ~Jenna~

    ReplyDelete